“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” – Luke 10:41-42
Perhaps one of the best ways for anyone to grasp what The Better Place is all about is to take time to read through the By Laws of this ministry. There one can learn more about:
- The basic three-fold mission of The Better Place,
- Our ownership and strategy for oversight,
- The minimum staffing that this ministry requires,
- The physical facilities that are mandated,
- How we are under-girded financially,
- Who are welcomed as guests at The Better Place campus,
- And how we relate with the community where our facilities are located.
The details of our By Laws were put in with care and prayer to assure that the vision God provided is carefully followed.
Our Three-fold Mission
The first part may be summarized as, to equip the Church to be a house of prayer for the nations. This is accomplished in a great variety of ways. We provide instruction and experiences through workshops, conferences, group retreats and individual retreats in a variety of settings.
The second part of our mission is to serve as a place where pastors and other ministry leaders can partake of Sabbatical experiences that will result in their being renewed in spirit, soul and body. This can be something as simple as a breakfast for pastors where they are gifted with a meal, good fellowship, inspirational worship and an encouraging witness to what God is doing in answer to prayer. It could mean spending a week, month or as long as a year at the campus for a time of directed renewal that includes study, instruction and practical experience in prayer. A Sabbatical experience at our campus should equip leaders to better equip the members of their local congregation to be a more effective house of prayer.
The third part of our mission is to provide leadership to network the Body of Christ for the purpose of receiving the promise of 2 Chronicles 7:14 or, to put it another way; to network for “transformational revival.” This mission is undertaken by means of annual or occasional events such as:
- State-wide prayer summits where leaders of prayer-based transformational movements come together,
- Facilitating and coordination area-wide unity prayer and worship gatherings,
- Organizing and encouraging local pastor prayer groups,
- Organizing and encouraging the gathering of intercessors for weekly or monthly times of prayer,
- Providing training for intercessors and for pastor prayer groups,
- Sponsoring and facilitation pastor prayer summits,
- Coordinating and otherwise supporting ongoing prayer based ministries such as the Agape Prayer Ministry, Chautauqua Lake Men of Integrity and the “One-in-Christ” initiative.
The Better Place has been in the formation stage for a number of years. To help appreciate how God has been moving through the years to bring this ministry about, a paper entitled Why the Better Place? has been written. This paper articulates a Biblical and theological rational for The Better Place as well as providing an historical overview of the vision.
Our Board of Directors has been carefully and prayerfully selected. Besides their many duties listed in the By Laws, their primary task is to pray for the ministry and staff of The Better Place and to make certain the ministry always remains faithful to the God-given vision. Our Board is comprise of a balance of lay persons and clergy, men and women and persons of varying backgrounds who all profess a Biblical Trinitarian faith.